Thursday, September 10

Hundred word stories - Street




It was dawn but not morning. Everything in front of me was new and everything behind me was over. The air was damp and cool. There was no smell of food, no hot bread to share. No aftersmell of eggs. I could smell them anyway, as if we'd just had breakfast in his bright yellow kitchen.
Full green trees crowded along the street and obscured the sky. I passed parked cars in front of brick houses. My shoes, quiet rubber soles, made two lonely sounds against the blacktop.
This time of day made me feel like flying instead of walking, but I was heavy. My reflection moved against black windows. Every house was suspended in stillness as I went between them on the road, down the center where the rising sun through the branches cast a jagged river of light.

No comments:

Post a Comment