Wednesday, May 27

Pick a favorite

"Tell me your three favorite words," someone requested, "and use all three in a sentence."

Hooboy. I'm in trouble. Whenever I try to answer this sort of
question, it turns into a mental argument with myself, beginning with an
avalanche of ridiculous quotes and ending (in frustration) with 'bezoar,
rheumatoid and polymethylmethacrylate!'

"Medical terminology doesn't count," I chide myself. "And those terms
are unrelated in any case."
"Fine, I don't have any favorites!" I huff.
"You can't pick three favorite words? Inconceivable!"
"What? Being impartial makes me a derelict?"
"You're just borrowing from the Decemberists. Learn to use your words."
"What's the superlative of curmudgeon?"
"You're better off using 'quark.'"
"I suppose 'timey-wimey' is unacceptable."
"Only when used in conjunction with 'ding' and 'stuff.'"
"How about David Tennant?"
"No names."
"So...not Wilhelmina. Because that's a favorite. How about syzygy?"
"When do you use that...ever?"
"But it's fun to spell."

And so it goes. Chalk it up to being a speculative fantasy fiction writer I
suppose. Nothing fits into the norm, not even my words. Most of the
oft-used favorites are in there, however, including Decemberists,
Tennant and Wilhelmina. (I do love them.) There I suppose are
favorite three words in one sentence at last.

2 comments:

  1. bahaha! reason #341 why I heart you. this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may be the only person I know who gets the Dr. Who reference. :)

    ReplyDelete